The 3D Textured Mesh can be improved by editing the densified Point Cloud. Or by creating surfaces to flatten areas in the 3D Textured Mesh.
Point Cloud Editing Tool
The point cloud editing tool is particularly useful to remove noisy building edges or sky. This feature is available once step 2. Point Cloud and Mesh has been completed.
In order to edit the Point Cloud points in the rayCloud:
- On Menu Bar, click View > rayCloud.
- If the Densified Point Cloud is not loaded or displayed in the 3D view: In the Layers section of the left sidebar, select Point Clouds.
- (optional) Visualize / hide the groups of the points to be edited: In the Layers section of the left sidebar, select / unselect the desired Point Groups. By default, all the points are Unclassified.
- In the toolbar, click Edit Densified Point Cloud in order to activate the editing mode.
- The Information i0013 pop-up message appears, read it and click OK.
- By default Add Points to Selection is selected. To select points, draw a polygon in the 3D View by using left mouse clicks. End the selection with a right click. A red polygon highlighting the selected points is visible in the 3D View.
- Once the points are selected: In the toolbar, click the arrow beside Unclassified and select the group to which the selected points will be assigned. In order to assign the points to a new group, click New Point Group. A pop-up appears, type the new point group name and click OK. The new group created is selected.
- Click Assign.
- Exit the editing mode by clicking again the button Edit Densified Point Cloud in the toolbar.
- In the Menu Bar, click Project > Save Project.
- Click Process > Generate 3D Textured Mesh to apply the changes to the 3D Textured Mesh.
Improve Flat Areas with Surfaces
Surfaces can be used to improve flat areas of a 3D Textured Mesh.
For example to flatten facades of a building (left: before, right: after using surfaces):
Another application is to fill holes in a flat surface such as a door (left: before, right: after using surfaces):
To improve the 3D Textured Mesh:
- Draw a New Surface on the planar surfaces of the object using the rayCloud.
- In the right sidebar, in section Selection, select the checkbox Use for DSM and Triangle Mesh.
- Choose the Orientation method by selecting the checkbox Automatic Orientation.
- Click Apply.
- (optional) Add more planar constraints following the steps 1 to 4.
- On the Menu bar, click Process > Generate 3D Textured Mesh.